Frequently asked questions

  • Do I need a planning permit?

    Chances are, if you’re looking to develop your property, remove vegetation or introduce a commercial use a planning permit is required.

    UrbanArc can appraise if a planning permit is required for your residential or commercial project and place you on the path to success.

  • What is the process of obtaining a planning permit and how long does it take?

    The planning process can take a number of different paths that is dependent upon the scale, type and complexity of an application as well as the nature of the planning regulations that apply to your land.

    UrbanArc can assist you in formulating a project specific strategy that will navigate the planning process to avoid lengthy delays and unnecessary expenses being incurred that are common when a sound strategy has not been formulated.

  • What zones and overlays apply to my site? Where can I find out what planning controls apply to my property?

    Each property is unique and it is important that the Zone and site specific Overlays are confirmed in the feasibility stages of your project.

    UrbanArc can perform a search of the Zone and Overlays that apply to your property and advise you of how they serve to regulate any intended development or land use.

    Alternatively, you can conduct your own investigations by visiting the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning.

  • Do I need a qualified planner to manage my application?

    A complete planning application is essential to give you the best chance of success. Engaging an experienced planning professional is essential to ensure that all facets of a project have been considered and any potential obstacles addressed.

    Contact UrbanArc today to discuss your project to ensure that the best possible outcome for your property and project is achieved.

  • What can I do with my land?

    Contact UrbanArc today for an appraisal of the relevant planning requirements and what this means for your land.

  • Who decides if I get a permit?

    Your local Council is the Responsible Authority who determines whether a planning permit should or should not be granted. In some circumstances it is necessary to refer an application to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal to review any decision made or contest a condition imposed upon a planning permit issued.

    If you require assistance in obtaining a planning permit or representation at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal contact UrbanArc to provide you with reliable advice and to advocate for and manage your project.

  • Who can check my permit application before I lodge it?

    UrbanArc can appraise your application prior to lodgement to identify potential hurdles and offer solutions to provide you with the best chance of success in obtaining a planning permit.

  • Do I need an architect to draw my plans?

    Whilst an architect or draftsperson is not a mandatory requirement to prepare plans for your application, we highly recommend a qualified and experienced professional be engaged to give you the best chance of success.

    UrbanArc can assist you in putting together the right team using our trusted and proven industry experts that best suit your project’s needs and budgetary requirements.

  • What is the New Garden Area requirement and how will it affect my property?

    The State Government approved Planning Scheme Amendment VC110 on 27 March 2017. This has implemented the need to provide a garden area on residential land, that is a percentage of the site based upon land size.

    The garden area is defined within Clause 73 of the Planning Scheme and has the potential to significantly impact upon the development potential of your property. Being a newly introduced and largely untested policy, the new garden area requirement has significant implications for your project.

    Contact UrbanArc today to discuss your project and what the new garden area requirements mean for you and your land.

  • What is the Metropolitan Planning Levy?

    The Metropolitan Planning Levy (MPL) is collected by the State Revenue Office of Victoria and is required to be paid before lodging a planning application where the development cost is greater than the current threshold limit within Metropolitan Melbourne. The current MPL threshold for the 2017-2018 financial year is $1,029,000.

    Contact UrbanArc today for an appraisal if the MPL applies to your project or for assistance preparing an application and obtaining the MPL certificate.

  • Can I object to a Planning Application?

    More often than not, a person can lodge a formal objection to a planning application. You are informed of the application process by Council. At UrbanArc we advocate for land use and development applications only and encourage you to contact your local Council for further information on your rights to object to an application.

  • My application has been refused, or an objector has lodged an appeal to VCAT, what do I do?

    If an application has been refused by your local Council or an objector has appealed against Council’s decision to grant a planning permit, it is imperative you seek professional advice and representation to ensure that the relevant compliance procedures are followed, and your best case presented.

    At UrbanArc our team is highly experienced in obtaining planning permits for all categories. They consult with a team of experts to ensure you are in the optimal position for a positive outcome. Contact the team at UrbanArc for an appraisal of your application, the potential costs and for a recommendation on the best strategy for you moving forward.

  • Council’s Enforcement Officers have inspected by my site and issued me with a Directions Order, what do I do?

    Quite often, alleged illegal buildings and works are complex to resolve. Where illegal buildings and works have occurred, that required a planning permit, your team is expected to seek building approval/certification alongside the planning approval process in most cases. This process can be daunting, complicated, costly and often result in additional action being taken against you if appropriate steps are not taken to address any issues identified by Council.

    It is imperative you contact UrbanArc today to provide you with advice on what is required to handle any directions issued by Council, to put the best team together, avoid any further infringements being issued and ensure that deadlines set by Council are reasonable and met.

Your question not here?
Send us an email and we’ll answer your question as soon as we can.


What can UrbanArc do for you?